Poetry & Illustration

“Head in the Clouds”

 

Adaptability of Aine

Uncharted territory

Shifting abundance

Into your hands

Moving between worlds

Without consequence

 

Omens of Ishtar

Synchronicity in the timing

Of my birth and death

Cyclical dance in union

Collaboration of the Source

Making of Worlds

 

Focus of Artemis

Harnessing the hunt

Establishing the mark

In the faraway place where

You lay your head to sleep

Alignment in my highest pleasure

 

Sweet songs of Demeter

Hymns I chant as my sons fall

Into the enchantment of slumber

A harvest meant to be shared

Gratitude given

A pure exchange of wonder

 

Deepness of Aphrodite

Such sensuous expressions

That set forth the freedom

Of the awakening of my life

Release to the Universe

Satisfaction in patterns left to perish

 

Memories of Mnemosyne

Running away from the pretender

Such glorious unfolding

Willingness of curiosity

For the exchange of wisdom

In the message I receive

 

Transforming with Shakti

Upside down in the transformation

That leaves me riddled as a butterfly

That falls from the cocoon, naked

Wings made strong by my thorax

Expansion in the figure-eight of self

 

Beckoning of Morrighan

Namesake of my creation

Death and magic, smothering fear

Impossibility of destruction of that

Which comes before

And the permission to surrender

To the eternity given.

 

2/22/21

-M. Irene Turner

 




“Glow”

 

Carved out in the words of Plato

Two embers burnt from the same tree

Consummated by the passion

Of sun once filling the earth

Forever leaving behind a molten core

Which melts with the same heat

That courses though my hand

As it gently touches your own

Recognition of the body that once

Coexisted within the same spirit

Twin flames that ignite in separation

As comets abandon a trail of light

Made brighter by the glow witnessed

By another who recognizes such familiar color

An extension of the self, union beyond constraint

That exists momentarily as two,

Establishing the beauteous perception

Of the whole sky

A canvas of the heavens from which

One star once fell.

 

 

-M. Irene Turner

2/18/21

 



 

“Dreams”

 

Sweet interruptions

Visions that borrow the mind

To speak to the spirit

What the head cannot

Sealed with flames

That melt the wax

Pressing into the figment

Of imaginative narrative

Saltwater that drowns

Flesh naked and thirsty

Satiating the atoms

That rattle for a plan

A sharp arrow that pierces

Cutting through the logic

That you have nailed to your bones

Every single moment of life

Vines of memory that saunter through

Splintered windows and walls

And grow in places of your heart

Rooted deeper than the well of time

Tattoos of black mineral that outline

The precious skin that was once my own

A nocturnal gaze that looks inward

Staring up at the wide ocean

Noticing the precious sunlight

Slowly drifting into

The borrowed light of the moon.

 

2.17.21

-M. Irene Turner

 

 



“A Million Jumps”

 

Blackened and burnt

Bitter, stale coffee on your tongue

Homewrecker, heartbreaker

The words you have spoken

Splinters in my heart,

Machetes in my mind

Nighttime descends

Illuminated only by

glowing streetlights

On the empty pavement

I miss the sun

I miss the ocean

I miss the way your smile curled

I miss your subterranean eyes

Guess what?

That’s what.

Fragile bones

Housing this soul of mine

Perhaps a bookmark in

Your stories

Bottles drank to catch the moon

Never satiated by the distance

Yet judgement does not harbor

Where this beacon stands alit

I miss your warmth

I miss your sun

I miss your ocean eyes

I miss you.

You once told me, I’ll always love you.

Tonight an owl dives down somewhere

In the park

An angel sighs in the cemetery

I wonder to myself,

Does he still think of me?

Tears imitating a faraway storm

Regret blanketing

The skin that is still yours

I should have let you inside

Rubies raining

I still wonder, where I went wrong?

No wonder we run from love…

I will always love you.

 

-M. Irene Turner

12/1/20

 

 


 “Landscapes”


Pale winter blue

Icy imitation in the

Endless sky

Or far beneath

A canopy of redwood

Under emerald

Burgundy underfoot

Perhaps in sun-tanned sand

Shimmer next to the

Dark waters

Horizon the only boundary

Sunless sky, dim light

A wood-lined cabin

Or a star-filled expanse

Fluorescent light

Layers of white

Glass panes

Outside looking in

An empty sidewalk

Maybe in contemplation

Or your favorite chair

I wonder where you will be

When you see me?


-M. Irene Turner

12/1/20




“Unrequited”


Tease me with the tension

Of yesterday’s perfume

The scent of sun caught in

Your silver hair

Beneath the beautiful blue

Whisps of gray, touches of green

Eyes painted with the palette of autumn skies


Torment me with your smile

That gleams like moonlight

Reflecting from recited poetry

What irony at play

Like a happy child

When the words of love fall from the mouth

In the presence of such faultless admiration


Taunted by the empathy of creative dance

Encircling and chanting

Just as the wind does the trees

Before a million leaves fall

And yet, do you recognize that

My congruence is bound

To the beauty of your being

At all intersections of myself?


Treasures given to the muse

That are bestowed by your aura

An infinite book, dripping with the ink

Which runs throw my veins just

As my crimson blood flows

And makes me wet for the

Tempting flavors of your words


To me, love is not wrapped

In silk or satin,

It is skin bare as

The soul that wrestles beneath it

A torturous gift that I may

Taste the bliss of your kiss

Without touching your lips

How I envy the

fortunate words you have spoken

that relish in your mouth

and are bestowed by your breath.


-M. Irene Turner

11/15/20


“MAGIC”

A year and a day

Existence has a decided way

Of passing through

Our flesh and bones

Like light

Through a dirty window

Dappled and mutable

What a world when

Love is told to be quiet

When age is determined

By mortal conception

And driven only

By imminent death

While experience

Revokes yesterday’s

Innocence

Cathedrals of anecdote

Built on the passions

Of humanity

To work into the timber

A resurrection of hope

And timeless search

Of civic duty

When does the ocean rest?

Only when the sky

Sets on her horizon?

Must she eternally

Draw her tides

Against the moon

So not to flood the entire shore?

Yet, such beauty

In the painless rose

That emerges from the dirt

Despite the inclination of a

Painful stem

And decides to set root,

Emit her crimson color

To plant friendship in

Desolate soil

In this is the greatest

Gift:

That life can be determined

By so much more than

The mind,

Beauty can be found

In the most barren land,

Light can

Appear through any

Opacity,

And in all things is

A little bit of

Magic.

-M. Irene Turner

10/16/20

“A New View on Life”
Wet windowpanes
Autumn leaves
Stuck to the path
Underfoot these days
Long walks
In the ocean mist
A touch of fog
In a blanket of blue
Thoughts like ash
Of many memories
That hide like ghosts
In the white and gray
Sirens in blankets
Warm embers in the stove
Terracotta footsteps
In the night
Rich, red wine
Burgundy as
The sacred sun
Setting on a smoky sky
Leather bound and open
Pages full of story
And a heart infinite
As time itself
Home…
Home again,
With a new view
On life.

-M. Irene Turner
“In Rainbows”

Sometimes all it takes
Is one color
Shining despite
Indifference
To let you know
That a prism exists –
That
the sunlight
Will trickle within...
Refract
Bend
Divert
Change course
Only to produce
A rainbow
At the right part of the
Day.

-M. Irene Turner
10/12/20



“Baggage”

Subtle twisting
Of yesterday’s words
Captive to lessons
Bound by the wrists
To uncertainty
That encircles
Envelops
And then releases
The way
A raincloud
Eventually
Gives in
To an inevitable
Downpour.

-M. Irene Turner
10/8/20



“Midnight Reverie”

 

Close your eyes

And tell me what you see

Amid tiny lights

Dancing, violet galaxies

Among the black and blue

The pressure of time and space

Do you recognize me here

In this place?

Was it yesterday I saw your smile,

Or perhaps centuries ago?

Down by the ruins

In the cemetery and moss

“Mo grá” you whispered

Near the loch

Yes, I recall it all

As I walked a million miles

All a map of crooked paths

To meet you here now

While all this time passed

There you were,

In autumn trees

Fallen golden flowers

Beneath my feet

Smooth, warm sun touching my shoulder

A kiss on the neck, and wrist

Such a scent I remember

The smell of wet pine

And muddy earth

Sea salt, ocean mist

Sweet river dirt

Now I see it all before me

A recollection in memory

Perhaps no more than a reverie…

But when you close your eyes

Do you see eternity?

 

-M. Irene Turner

10/23/20





“Kindred”

 

Standing on the precipice

Waiting to exhale

Gazing to the great beyond

My immortal soul filled with

Lessons as rugged

As the sea stone itself

Wounds cut into my memory

Deep as the Mariana Trench

Seeing the whole of the sky

A view of a million stars

Awaiting the arrival

Of my kindred

 

M. Irene Turner

 

10/22/20

 

 


 

 

“Seeing Things”

 

Nomad mind

x-ray eyes

color as vivid

as first sight

seeing things

inversely this time

reaching in

from the outside

creative forces

dabble and drown

from the ink spilled

into the universal sound

 

-M. Irene Turner

10/24/20

 


“Autumn Daydream”

Sepia color hair
Hands brandished by time
Wielded gold and speckled red
Just as his beard in the sunlight
Sandy smile, curious nature
Bodies bending toward light
Attraction,
Photosynthesis for the soul
Filling minds with color, 
Feeding flesh with curiosity
Perverted fiery aluminum
Wildfire ravishing old cars
And air conditioners
Frozen frames of memory
I will keep in my pocket
Familiar as yesterday’s meals
And new as tomorrow’s dreams

-M. Irene Turner
11/24/20




“A Wave Farewell”

 

Closure in the form of lines

Words, weighted

Now fly freely

Cages, rattle open


For the first time

Souls take a breath


Inhale, exhale


Two smiles

Moons in the dark

Crescents of recognition

Refracting miles away

Little beacons on each end

Now connected only

By the illuminating

Pulse


Reminders on a shore

Of yesterday’s waves.

 

12/9/20






“Head in the Clouds”

 

Today I was inspired by the clouds

The way they seduced the sky

The way they danced across cerulean

Sunlit and silver

Little prisms of color in their shadows

Misty hair cascading to the ground

 

Today I was inspired by her eyes

The way rivers empty to the sea

The way they glint pale sapphire shimmer

Sage and moss

Tidepools capturing moonlight

Honey painted hair mimicking ocean currents

 

Today I was inspired by the trees

The way wind made song of their branches

The way the melody mused the clouds

Birch-white and Oak-Gray

Creation rattling in the winter fractals

New beginnings restless in the bark

 

12/26/20

M. Turner

 


 

“Purpose”
Woke up with purpose knocking
She sauntered in
Sunlight as her coat
Serendipity in her eyes
Windows peering out
To wild birds fluttering
Little parachutes carrying
Yesterday’s dreams
Green chutes breaking through
The muddy earth
Imitating the daybreak
Painted with the hope of dawn
Ruby and twilight
Mixed into a soup of sorrows
Such seeds we sow
Morning naked of her defenses
All treacherous riddles falling
Like puzzle pieces I do not need
Colored in and hazy
Echoes of reason gracefully reaches out
Slow dancing in a kaleidoscope of pigment
Little crescents of eternity
Floating in fresh atmosphere
Twisting galaxies, intwined in purpose.
12/31/20
-Meghan Irene Turner



 “Wildflower”


Simple grace surrounds you

The way dew does a petal

Leaning into the curves of your nature

Globules of the universe

Bending, as does the light

Through castle glass

A dimensional gaze imitating

Shadow on shallow ocean floor

That I should step into your water

And wade in the sands of your time

Allowing the tides of change

To wash through my moonlit body

And my bones to be remade

Into the shape of their purpose

Flesh, cascading over my soul

Just as a warm blanket wraps

A newborn child

Infinite possibility on

Your very horizon,

I watch as the sun sets

Between the valley of your lips.


1/18/21 Meghan Turner


“The Castle”

 

Come with morning at your heels

Come with moonlight in your hair

Come with all your days

Come with all your nights

Come with your pleasure

Come with your pain

Come with your child

Come with your father, your mother

Come with your brother, your sister

Come with your anger

Come with your mercy

Come with your rain

Come with your sun

 

Bring all of you

 

I stand clumsy at the gates

Of my kingdom

I do not beg to be your ruler

I do not wish to be your monarch

I am my own queen, kneeling

At the altar of your wonder

 

Bring all of you

 

I will not forsake

I will not cringe with jealousy

I will not speak with judgement

I will not cry of time lost

I will not abandon mortality

I will not take away your air

I will not confine with boundary

I will not laugh at your nakedness

I will not condemn your laughter

I will not wound your beliefs

 

Bring all of you.

Come, let me love you.

 

2.13.21

-M. Irene Turner


“Angels Aware”

Speak to me in rhymes

Vacancy between the lines

That let you lend me your hand

No sooner to take it away

Children of the meadow

Quiet and free

Language of the lip

That spills in songs

Into the barren wilderness

Filling it with dandelion

Mud, and truth

Silence that shouts

Louder than the earful

Entertainment for the muses

Which rest on scripture's shoulder

Disguised at half life

As a child dismissed

Such stoic nature

Transcending upon

My paint-ridden hands

That long to color your flesh

With a passion unmatched

2/16/21

M. Irene Turner





Popular Posts